Tuesday, March 4, 2008

To Elect Or Not To

Somebody reminded me about registering for voting yesterday. He asked me if i'm going to register or not. I said "No". And he asked, "Why not?" "The government is gonna win anyway. And the oppositions are not in a better position to win either." "Ignorant citizen." And i shut up.

For one thing, yes, i'm being irresponsible for not giving a damn about the election and thus ignoring the part i'm supposed to play as a citizen of this country. But on the other hand, i believe i'm right; the government IS GONNA WIN ANYWAY. The Election Commission of Malaysia as we all know is an unofficial component of Barisan Nasional, and its chairman is an UMNO member isn't he (go and look it up, you'll see it for yourself)? So practically, in its function to regulate the election, its subtle (or probably even obvious) purpose is to ensure BN's winning by hook or by crook. So why bother? They are gonna win anyway.

And it's not like i favor any of them oppositions either. Handing over the governance of this country to them might not change anything, or may even makes it worse (especially financially). Both (govenrment and opposition) parties, despite the fact that providing monetary or material rewards for voting or not voting certain candidates are considered as an offence, are doing it as a matter of factly speaking. In a nutshell, i personally think that our politicians from both parties are corrupt. Our governance is corrupt. I understand pretty well why Fong Po Kuan backed off. Politics are no longer (or has it ever even been) a noble and humanity-saving field to be involved in.

I do not post this to induce ignorance in my readers. You wanna vote, go ahead. But if you think that it's gonna change anything, I just wanna let you know that i envy your optimism. May it one day be so.

p/s: I was thinking, Mat Rempits as stated in the news every now and then are the number one enemy of our country. But imagine this, if they roam the roads and streets waving BN flags while wearing BN T-shirts, making the same nuisance that they always do without exhibiting any BN identities, would they still be the enemy and get apprehended? Or would they be granted monetary rewards instead? ;)

No comments:

My relationship with Sturcture and Perfection

 I realised that when it comes to writing, I have this urge to do it perfectly, to make it sound like I’m smart, ‘mature’ (a word I liked to...